The Virgin Money London Marathon is Going Digital
We are proud to announce that the Virgin Money London Marathon and its digital partner, Paofit, have created the world’s first digital marathon.
Runners everywhere in the world are invited to line up on a virtual start line at 10:00 GMT on Sunday 26 April 2015 to run the first Digital Virgin Money London Marathon.
Paofit is the first and only company to combine HD video of running courses around the world with virtual reality avatars to make treadmill running fun and social. The Digital Virgin Money London Marathon features an HD video of the real Virgin Money London Marathon that has been converted into an interactive 3D experience with virtual reality avatars, making the unique experience of running the London Marathon available to treadmill runners everywhere.
Try it now! Log on to www.paofit.com to download the free Showcase onto your iPad (iPhone version coming soon and Android later this year) and experience one mile of the Digital Virgin Money London Marathon course.
To register your interest in the 2015 Digital Virgin Money London Marathon, click here. Full registration information will be sent out later in the year.
HOW IT WORKS
- Download the FREE Paofit app to your iPad and set it on a treadmill.
- Select the FREE “Digital Virgin Money London Marathon” course.
- The vibration generated by running on the treadmill will cause the course ahead of you to speed up, slow down, or come to a complete stop, reflecting your cadence. You can also calibrate Paofit to better match your stride.
- With the Life Fitness Track+ or Discover console treadmills, simply connect your iPad to get the speed directly from the treadmill and the treadmill will incline automatically as it adjusts to the video terrain.
- You'll also see fellow runners on the course as virtual avatars in real-time as you pass them or they pass you.
- Sign up to the Digital Virgin Money London Marathon Newsletter below for more info, news and features that will be coming out in the near future.
This footage shows a short clip from the free Showcase demonstration of the Digital Virgin London Marathon course.
NEWSLETTER SIGN UP
To register for the 2015 Digital Virgin Money London Marathon newsletter, click here.
How much does it cost? The Paofit App and the Digital Virgin Money London Marathon Showcase video are both free.
What is the Digital Virgin Money London Marathon Showcase? It is a video of one mile of the recorded 2013 Virgin Money London Marathon event, starting just before London's famous Tower Bridge.
Can I have the full Digital Virgin Money London Marathon course? This will be released later in the year. Sign up to our Newsletter (above) so you’re one of the first to know.
Can I register for the 2015 Digital Virgin Money London Marathon event? Not yet. We will open registration later in the year. If you are interested, do please sign up to the Newsletter.
How much will the Digital Virgin Money London Marathon cost? Pricing has not yet been set but we would expect there to be an entry fee. We will also be working with charities you might be interested in supporting.
Will there be a relay and how does the relay work? If you’re not up for running the full marathon, you also have the option to join in as a relay team. You will be able to do this as a group sharing one treadmill or you can be located in different places around the world.
Can I run it outside? Not yet, but watch this space!
When can I run the Digital Virgin Money London Marathon? At any time once you have downloaded the video. You can run for training purposes or run for fun with friends. However, the official event will only happen on the day of the 2015 Virgin Money London Marathon (Sunday 26 April 2015) and will start at the same time as the race (10:00 GMT).
Does it only work on iPad? Yes, at the moment but it will be available on the iPhone soon and Android later this year.Return to the Virgin Money London Marathon website